Thursday, March 11, 2010

Essential Questions

"Why are values important?" That was my question. My students didn't really know what to think of the question. They wanted more specifics, ie. What kind of values? Whose values? Which meaning of values did I intend? The question definitely intrigued them. It piqued their curiousity which was the intention. I think as I learn to ask better questions, they will learn to find new ways to answer them.

4 comments:

  1. What an excellent Essential question! You received exactly the response you should have for such a broad, interesting question. I'm curious, what topic did you segue into after that question? Was this a health class?... a history class? .... a science class?
    The main thing is you got their attention.... you had them engaged --and once you have them engaged---you can teach them!! Fantastic Work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always do a unit of character education the week after grad exam. It gives us all a little break and gives me an opportunity to guide them to be better people. We studied about trustworthiness on the day I opened with this question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I hope the other workshop participants read about the success you are having incorporating Essential questions into your already great activities. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this character education is VERY important for so many of your students. For many, YOU ARE the most positive adult influence in their lives. The essential question was right on target and I am sure the discussion was productive! Thank you for loving the kids that many find hard to love. I am blessed to work beside you!

    ReplyDelete